Sunday, January 3, 2010

Elegy for Rose

By Carissa Mann


Sweet smelling,
Gorgeous,
Enchanting
I reach
And pluck
Ouch!


Now in water
In the center
Of our table
Petals the color of
Peaches and cream.
Wow.


Eating pancakes,
I notice
A change-
The rose is blushing!
Red petals tinged
With purple.


My friend
And I
Sip mint tea.
“Oh! How lovely.
A purple rose.”
I spy a hint of darkness.


Dusting the oak table,
I glance up
Rose is
Brown.
I pick up the petals
That have fallen.


Our table
Is bare,
Colorless.
Only memories
Of beauty
Remain.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, that was depressing! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry dear. :)It's supposed to be.

    I was told to write an elegy, so I did. I don't know why anyone would want to write a sad poem. I'm not very good at them... that's about as sad as they come for me. :)

    ReplyDelete