Monday, February 8, 2010

The Blue Bowl

By Blanche Bane Kuder

All day I did the little things,
The little things that do not show;
I brought the kindling for the fire
I set the candles in a row,
I filled a bowl with marigolds,
The shallow bowl you love the best-
And made the house a pleasant place
Where weariness might take its rest.


The hours sped on, my eager feet
Could not keep pace with my desire.
So much to do, so little time!
I could not let my body tire;
Yet, when the coming of the night
Blotted the garden from my sight,
And on the narrow, graveled walks
Between the guarding flower stalks
I heard your step: I was not through


You came into the quiet room
That glowed enchanted with the bloom
Of yellow flame. I saw your face,
Illumined by the firelit space,
Slowly grow still and comforted-
"It's good to be at home," you said.

4 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful poem, and one that carries powerful weight. May we all see the heavenly value in 'the little things that do not show.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it is. Amen!

    Did your mama read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carissa,

    Yes, I did read this way back in February. :) And have come back and read it a few more times. :)

    I need to memorize it and have my girls memorize it. Thank you so much for sharing it! Where did you find it?

    I am sorry for taking so long to comment on it.

    God Bless,
    Mrs. Mama Lauser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Mama Lauser,

    Oh wow! You commented!! :D I have checked back every once in a while to see if you did. haha.

    Yes... it would be a good one to memorize. Maybe we could all learn it... (Mann and Lauser girls) and then when we come see y'all we can say it together. :)

    You are welcome! I found it in... hmm, where did I find it? I'm not sure... if I remember I'll let you know. :)

    Oh, that's alright, I'm glad you did!

    With Joy and Peace in Christ,
    Carissa :)

    ReplyDelete